„The haiku that reveals seventy to eighty percent of its subject is good. Those that reveal fifty to sixty percent, we never tire of.“
— Bashō Matsuo Japanese poet 1644 - 1694
Matsuo Bashō, Collected Haiku Theory, eds. T. Komiya & S. Yokozawa, Iwanami, 1951 (Unknown translator)
„Revolutionary change means the seizure of all that is held by the 1 percent, and the transference of these holdings into the hands of the remaining 99 percent. If the 1 percent are simply replaced by another 1 percent, revolutionary change has not taken place.“
— George Jackson (activist) activist, Marxist, author, member of the Black Panther Party, and co-founder of the Black Guerrilla Family 1941 - 1971
„10 percent of any population is cruel, no matter what, and 10 percent is merciful, no matter what, and the remaining 80 percent can be moved in either direction.“
— Susan Sontag American writer and filmmaker, professor, and activist 1933 - 2004
„Let's go out and buy a statistically average meal from a large multinational restaurant chain. That usually fixes about seventy-five percent of life's problems.“
— Douglas Coupland Canadian novelist, short story writer, playwright, and graphic designer 1961
„Persistence isn’t very glamorous. If genius is 1 percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration, then as a culture we tend to lionize the 1 percent. We love its flash and dazzle. But great power lies in the other 99 percent.“
— Susan Cain self-help writer 1968
Hughey, Aaron W. (book reviewer), "Book review: ‘Quiet’ suggests introverts are undervalued by society," The Daily News (Kentucky; BGDailyNews.com), July 15, 2012.
— Joyce Brothers Joyce Brothers 1927 - 2013
As quoted in Letting Go of Debt : Growing Richer One Day at a Time (2000) by Karen Casanova, p. 17
— Thomas Edison American inventor and businessman 1847 - 1931
Spoken statement (c. 1903); published in Harper's Monthly (September 1932). Variants: None of my inventions came by accident. I see a worthwhile need to be met and I make trial after trial until it comes. What it boils down to is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Statement in a press conference (1929), as quoted in Uncommon Friends: Life with Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, Harvey Firestone, Alexis Carrel & Charles Lindbergh (1987) by James D. Newton, p. 24. Variant forms without early citation: "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'genius' is often merely a talented person who has done all of his or her homework." "Genius: one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration."
„95 percent of all software developers believe they are in the top 5 percent when it comes to knowledge and skills.“
— Linus Torvalds Finnish-American software engineer and hacker 1969
— Lou Holtz American college football coach, professional football coach, television sports announcer 1937
— Rachel Marsden journalist 1974
cited in Fox's Ann Coulter 2.0 http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/03/29/marsden/index.html. Salon.com.
„It seems to me that the German people can - pointedly - tolerate 5 percent price increase better than 5 percent unemployment.“
— Helmut Schmidt Chancellor of West Germany 1974-1982 1918 - 2015
Interview with Helmut Schmidt on the 27. July 1972 in Bonn, partly printed in the Süddeutsche Zeitung of 28. July 1972 (nr. 171), p. 8